Monday, April 25, 2011

How I got involved

It all started with a desire my daughter, Ashaunda, had last year. She wanted to to work for the Department of Defense Educational Division in their overseas branch, because she wanted to teach children of other cultures She and her husband, Keawe,  filled out all of the necessary applications and forms and as you know you all but have to give them your life story, I almost thought I was going to have to fill out an application myself and all I was going to do was keep the children in whatever country they would be assigned to. I must say Ashaunda is the type of person who does her research in whatever she really want to do, so the research session was on and I was involved. We researched the country she wanted to teach in and their communities, it was a fun time.
She waited patiently for the D.O.D. to call, she stayed in contact with them for several months but to no avail, we knew they received many thousands of applications a year, so after 8 or 9 months she decided to call another agency. We had to research them also, I was beginning to think I was the one looking for a job!
She contacted Teach Away and on the application  both she and Keawe requested to work in Japan, there seem to be no openings there so she decided to ask for Asia, the largest continent in the world, of course they responded right away and the wheels began to roll, we went into overdrive once she was offered the job in the United Arabic Emirates(where in the world is that?). Actually it is a young country and also an ally to the United States. I understand we have an Embassy there and  an American base located there. (Do I have to learn Arabic?). I really do not want to hurt that language with my southern accent.
Sixty-seven years old and I am headed to another country on the other side of the world, isn't that a blessing! Excitement is just brewing in my body because I am just praying  God let me live to enjoy this new chapter in my live.
Keawe does not have a job at this time but we know he will get one soon because Ashaunda prayed long and hard before applying to this type of job, she waited patiently on her answer due to the fact they have two children 18mo. old son and a 4yr. old daughter, so she had to be very sure of her choices. When she received her answer she sprinted to the finish line and we have been in the fast lane every since. We are stepping out on faith and that is not a bad thing. I say to you where is the airplane?
I begin packing right away, six months before it was time to leave. I packed so much until we both wondered what was I going to wear for the next 6mos, needless to say I had to unpack a few things. We have been told by a few people and by our own research that it is very hot weather over there most of the year and that there is very mild winters also that the shoe of choice is sandals. I thought to myself why in the world did I pack all of my suits and my heels plus all of my winter clothes, where was I going to wear them? I will not weigh down my suitcase with things I can not use. Summer clothes, one suit and one pair of heels will be all I need for a while.

2 comments:

  1. FYI: I interviewed with DODEA in 09 and was told that unless you have two or more certifications, or your spouse is a soldier, your chances of getting hired is next to nil. It was good prep for interviewing with TA and ADEC. :) Thanks for sharing your story. I hope to see much much more! Angelina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Take your heels, you can wear them to church in AD! I like your style, Ms. C, and will definitely be following your progress.

    ReplyDelete